Couronne, or Koronn, is a variant of the board game Carrom. Carrom is believed to originate from India, where it is still prevalent. We have taken quite a liking to this "strike-and-pocket" game here in Unixploria, but with our national twist.
The Friends of Disc Pool (FDP) is a result of our enthusiasm for the game. FDP is the only national organization in the world which promotes this game internationally. We also host the National Unixplorian Championships, as well as maintaining and overseeing rules and regulations.
The variant of the game that is best known in Unixploria is derived from the United States, where it is sometimes referred to as Disc Pool, a name we have adopted for our Unixplorian version of the game.
The differences between Carrom and Disc Pool are mainly that the Disc Pool board is smaller in size. We also use rings instead of large wooden discs, and we use simple queues to push down the rings or discs in the holes.
As in billiards, the goal is to pocket all your discs using a striker disk and a queue.
Put the red and yellow (some boards use green) discs inside the circle in the center of the game board. Then divide two teams (with 2 or 4 players). Hand out a queue to each teamr. Then give a black striker (some boards use yellow) disc to each player.
- 2-player game: Players stand opposite each other at the table. Play from your side of the game board and from the side that is left of you.
- 4 player game: the team players are placed opposite each other at the game table.
The yellow or green players begin by bouncing their strikers against the disks in the center of the circle.You can continue to play as long as you pocket a disc of your color. You can pocket the disks in any corner compartment but only shoot from your side of the board.
You can place the striker where you wish, as long as the disc is placed centered on any of the two lines on your side of the board.
- When you pocket a disc of your own color, you get an extra shot.
- When you pcoket a disc of the opponent's color, the game continues with the other team.
- If a disc jumps over the compartment, put the disc in the small circle closest to the compartment.
- If you accidently pocket your own striker, you have to pick up a disc of your own color. Place the disc in the circle on the center of the board.